Friday, June 19, 2015

One Act Play

(The scene opens on a couple and their young son, around 3 or 4, standing on the steps of a home.)

Martha: Todd, sweetie, could you please fix your shirt? It’s untucked in the back and we want to make a good impression. And Jackson, wipe that dirt off your pant leg! Can’t you stay clean for once? My goodness!

Todd: Take a deep breath, we’re all cleanly shaved, showered, and dressed. Jackson had some apple slices before we left so he should be fine until we leave for supper. Everything’s going to be fine, Martha, just relax. 

(Martha takes a deep breath, then rings the doorbell. A loud commotion can be heard from outside the house and the door opens. A dog rushes out and jumps onto Martha.)

Martha: Oh dear! Oh no, my pants! They were brand new!

(The dog had jumped on Martha, his dirty paws staining her new, white pants. A woman emerges into the doorway, wearing a old t-shirt and ripped jeans covered in paint stains.) 

Dakota: Sorry about Baxter. He can get a little jumpy when meeting new faces. But please, come in, come in! My name is Dakota, and my husband Mark will be come upstairs in a little bit, he's down in his studio. Can I interest you in a drink?

Todd: A glass of ice water would be perfect, thank you. 

Martha: Jackson, why don't you go find Brian and play, ok? I'll call you when we're going to leave. 

(Jackson runs down the hallway to find his friend Brian. Martha looks around the dirty living room, trying to find something to compliment.)

Martha: Oh what a lovely painting! Did Brian paint that? 

Dakota: No, I did. 

Martha: Oh. 

Todd: SO anyways Dakota, what do you do for a living?

Dakota: I don't really have a job, I spend most of my time at home painting or making jewelry, and Mark usually stays downstairs and does his wood work. 

Martha: So you don't have a real job? 

Dakota: My job is painting and sometimes I make jewelry. 

Martha: But how do you make money?How are you even able to afford little things like food? Where do you get your income? 

Dakota: I'll sell my paintings and jewelry online on my website, and Mark makes tables and carvings that he can sell. 

Martha: People actually buy that stuff? 

Dakota: Sometimes money can be tough for us and we have an extremely tight budget when it comes to clothes and food, but we're doing what we love. 

Martha: Shouldn't you love going to bed in a full stomach and seeing your son in clean, new clothes?

Dakota: I provide my son with everything he needs and more, and just because I don't sit behind a desk all day crunching numbers doesn't make me any less of a person than you are. I'm happy doing my work, it's something I love. And shouldn't that be what life's all about? Doing what makes you happy and living the best life you possibly can? 

Martha: I think having a steady income is the best life you can live. 

Dakota: Well I disagree with you there, Martha. I actually choose to enjoy life and make it fun and interesting. Now if you'll excuse me, I have plenty of food in which I prepared for you both, let me grab it from the kitchen. 

(Dakota exits the room, and Todd gives Martha a disapproving look. Then the lights fade out.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment