Monday, June 1, 2015

Picture Perfect



It was beautiful to look at. The water was always blue and clear, with the occasional fish swimming by my feet. The rocks were large and smooth, which made them less painful when walking barefoot. Trees grew tall all around the sides of the spring pool, creating a wall that hid itself from the world. Hid me. The first couple times it had happened, I had just sat there, stunned, my face stinging, , unable to move a muscle. I had run to my room and let the tears stain my cheeks. I had been afraid of ever coming out of my room, fear of what would happen to me or what he would say to me, but the bottle of Scotch usually ended up wiping away any memories he had of the previous. He'd get drunk almost every night, wailing for her to come, praying he'd wake up and she'd be lying next to him, healthy and cancer free. But each night would drag on, and she would not come. Liquor was his only friend, and he'd get too drunk to remember why I was covered in bruises. That's how I found the place. I had walked in after school and could hear him puking in the kitchen, and he was screaming out her name. I was too afraid to face him, so I ran. Ran deep into the woods and had no intention of stopping until I was too far to go back. And I reached the pool with rocks that weren't too sharp and the trees that hid it from the world, and I prayed I would never have to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment